A study published by the Annals of Pharmacotherapy states that the United States spends $528 billion on non-optimized medication use. Additionally, there are 275,000 lives lost annually due to medication mismanagement. Many believe that non-adherence is the sole reason for this, but that only acts as 15% of the impact.1 Pharmacists are in a key position to help address this substantial issue.
By expanding use of comprehensive medication management (CMM), pharmacists can go beyond medication reconciliation and counseling and improve patient outcomes with employer groups, health systems, and physician offices. A successful CMM program will lead to achieving the Quadruple Aim of Healthcare: improve health outcomes, increase patient satisfaction, increase provider satisfaction, and decrease cost of care.
What is CMM?
CMM is a patient-centered approach to optimizing medication use. A clinical pharmacist partners with the provider, healthcare team, and patient to individualize the patient’s care. The CMM process ensures that each prescribed medication is assessed for effectiveness, safety, appropriateness, and affordability. The clinical pharmacist also assesses lab values, vaccinations, past medical history, and goals of therapy of both the provider and patient to ensure adherence and achievement of outcomes.
Many healthcare leaders consider medication therapy management (MTM) synonymous with comprehensive medication management, but CMM allows a pharmacist to work collaboratively with the provider and patient to have a holistic approach on the patient’s care.
Key components of CMM include:
- Collaboration with other healthcare providers to optimize the patient’s drug therapy regimen
- Patient monitoring
- Patient follow-up
These steps are critical to improving clinical outcomes and the patient’s medication experience while reducing healthcare costs and achieving the patient’s therapy goals through optimized use of medications.
What Sets CPS TELEpharmacy CMM Apart?
CPS TELEpharmacy works with 200+ healthcare facilities across the country and their physicians to create a collaborative program and improve patient care and outcomes. CPS TELEpharmacy utilizes residency-trained and board-certified clinical pharmacists that delivers:
- Average 10 recommendations per patient
- 24/7/365 availability
- Patient education
- Decreased workload and mental exhaustion for providers
- Satisfaction that patients receive optimal care
- Achievement of quality metrics
Studies have shown that CMM programs yield financial ROI ranging from 3:1 to 12:1. Another study showed that CMM services were associated with a 31.5% reduction in healthcare costs, with a mean reduction of $3,700 per patient per year.2
CPS is ready to help your team reduce physician workload, adverse drug events, and readmissions with our TELEpharmacy CMM program. Call 855-264-7763 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more.
1. Watanabe JH, McInnis T, and Hirsch. Cost of Prescription Drug—Related Morbidity and Mortality. Related Morbidity and Mortality. Annals of Pharmacotherapy. Annals of Pharmacotherapy. 2018; 52(9): 8292018; 52(9): 829—837.837.
2. Setts BJ, Schondelmeyer SW, Artz MB, et al. Clinical and economic outcomes of medication therapy management services: The Minnesota experience. Journal of the American Pharmacists Association. 2008;48(2):203-211. doi: 10.1331/ JAPhA.2008.07108